WEEK 14 – Begins with a vowel

 WEEK 14 – Begins with a vowel

This could be such an interesting story to write as a totally different theme. I have so many ancestors whose name “begins with a vowel”. My point is listed here –

A – 1256 people, mainly Ann/Annie, Abigail, Alice or Arthur, Albert and Alfred.

E – 1512 people, mainly Eliza/Elizabeth, Edward and Edwin

I – 157 people mainly Isabelle/Isabella or Ida

O – 42 people, mainly Olive or Oliver

U – 9 people, of Ursula and Una

 

I thought I would go with one of the U people as more unusual and not many to pick from, however, most of them have very little information linked to them and are before census records, so there’s not much point as nothing to write about. I then thought about one of the Isabella’s who married into my direct paternal lineage but again not there’s much to write about her. Then it dawned on me that I have a fairly close ancestor beginning with O and I have gone with her.

Grand Aunt Olive Lackey. Olive was born 5th May 1908 in West Rainton, Durham. She was the 3rd child and 1st daughter of my Great Grandparents Gardiner and 

Margaret Lackey. (photo right is Olive – pale coat, and her sister Peggy).

On the 1911 census her and her family are living at 15 Church Street, West Rainton. This isn’t far from my 2x great grandparents or the family business of Lackey’s Yard (where he father previously worked). In 1921 the family were living at 7 Quarry Row, Freehold just outside of West Rainton village.

In July 1935 Olive married Frank Carr Heddle, a local dairy farmer. Ancestry records say it was in Houghton, but I suspect it was at St Mary’s Church West Rainton as this was the Lackey’s local church. They moved to Hetton-Le-Hole, in Durham and lived on a farm. There are many newspaper articles and documents linked to Heddle Farm online. Olive and Frank had 2 children (both still living today).

My Dad often told stories of being at Heddle Farm and spending time with his cousins. He spoke fondly of Olive and Frank. He did say that Olive and her sister Peggy were quite close. Sadly over the years my Dad lost contact with all of the family and I never got to meet them.

Olive died in June 2000 in Durham.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2021 Week 1 (Jan. 1-10): Beginnings – Contact with new cousin S.

Week 4 – Close to home (Jan 22-28)

Week 3 – Long Line (Jan 15-21)