WEEK 18 – Pets

 WEEK 18 – Pets

I personally have many "pets" - 5 cats and a dog, I did have a bearded dragon but he died last year. 

I have many people (mainly ladies) in the tree who have names linked to animals or “pets” in some way. See below.

Parrot’s are sometimes called Polly, I have 2 ladies called Poly. Some cow’s including 1 that was on a local farm down south are called Daisy, I have a few Daisy’s. I have some people with the surname Bird and Chicken. I have DOGgett as a surname, CATherine as a first name and FISHer as a surname. However, these don’t link to my “Pets”, so I started re-thinking. I have a Merlinda and my “pet” dog is Merlin, There is a surname of Hunter, this was my “Pet” lizards name but the one that tops it is my “pet” cat Phoebe! There are 20 ladies called Phoebe one of which was my 3rd great grandmother.

Before I start on Phoebe I need to explain about my “pets”. They are all named after wicca and witchcraft. My current “pets” are as follows: I have a ginger cat called Flame, flames are used in witchcraft (nothing linked in the tree). I have a black cat called Salem – historic place of witchcraft, (nothing in the tree as no ancestors from there). I have a fluffy Maine coon called Lunar, linked to the moon (nothing in the tree). I have a brown tabby called Phoebe, a witch from a TV series, (LOTS in tree). My dog is called Merlin, after the wizard (Only Merlinda in the tree). Previously I have had other “pets” which have died, been killed (run over) or had to be put down over the years,  I had a tortishell cat called Willow, wands are sometimes made of willow wood and willow can be used in spells (nothing in the tree). I had a brown tabby called Starla, linked to the stars (nothing in the tree). I had a black cat called Magic, magic is linked to witchcraft (nothing in the tree), I had a black cat called Zen, meaning calm (nothing in the tree). I had a large grey tabby called Phoenix, after the mystical bird (nothing in the tree). And I had the lizard called Hunter, hunters used to hunt witches, (only 1 person with it as surname in tree). So the best option was going with Phoebe.

Phoebe Haylock was my 3rd Great Grandmother on my Mum’s Dad line of the family. She was born about 1818 in either Withersfield or Thurlow, Suffolk, England. (records vary between the places as do her siblings). She was the 4th child and 3rd daughter of William Haylock and Martha Smith, who had another 8 children after her.

At present I haven’t found a baptism for her, so need to try and find a way to get someone local to the villages to look at parish records. I do have her marriage to Stephen Bigmore, as per image below. This happened in the Church of Withersfield 6th November 1841. Bother Phoebe and Stephen were illiterate.

On the 1841 census she is aged 24years and living with her parents and siblings, she has no occupation so is likely doing the household jobs as her father and brothers were ag labs. She apparenty was the mother of John Linzel Haylock, born 1837, but this hasn’t been confirmed by birth cert, but the record says mother Haylock. (He is listed on the 1851 with William and Martha as parents, so I don’t know), he moved to Australia.  

On the 1851 census Phoebe is listed as married with 2 children (out of her supposed 3) William Bigmore Haylock (my 2x great grandfather) and Harriet Bigmore. On the 1861 census she is listed as married, with 2 children and again no occupation. On the 1871 census she is married and only her and Stepehen are listed, but in the house next door is William Bigmore (note the dropping of Haylock) with his wife and children. On the 1881 census she is listed as married and occupation as house wife. On the 1891 census Phoebe and Stephen had moved from Suffolk to Derbyshire and had their grandchildren and great grandchildren living with them.

Phoebe died in March 1899 in Derbyshire.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2021 Week 1 (Jan. 1-10): Beginnings – Contact with new cousin S.

Week 4 – Close to home (Jan 22-28)

Week 3 – Long Line (Jan 15-21)