WEEK 11 – Lucky

 WEEK 11 – Lucky

Linked to “lucky” I have gone with the “luck” of the Irish”.

My 2x great grandparents (and further back) on my Dad’s paternal side were Irish. For as long as I can remember I have known those who we got our name from – Robert Lackey and Mary Jane Jackson. I knew the names of both fathers from their marriage cert, so I knew my 3rd great grandfathers but not their wives. Mary had a possibility of 5 mothers! (see below).

As I’m writing this it is St Patricks Day. And this week has been very “lucky” for me. A lovely gentleman who is linked to the Irish Jackson’s in my family has finally made a break though and got “lucky” with parish records and has kindly shared them with me.

As of yesterday 16th March 2023, I now know my 3rd great grandparents linked to 2nd great grandmother. As above, prior to today I only had Mary’s father’s name from her marriage certificate. I had 5 possible wives of different names, as they all had a marriage to a Thomas and a daughter called Mary! 


One wife was ruled out a few months back as her and Thomas were living in the USA 4years after Thomas had died in Ireland (I have a copy of his will so I know it’s him). But this still left me with 4 ladies, 3 of which had the same 1st name of Margaret. (Major headache). Anyway, it turns out that not a single one of my suspects was actually the wife of my 3x great Grandad Thomas!

My 3rd great grandmother was Margaret Gardiner, born about 1804 near Belfast, possibly Kilmore as this is where her farm was. The children were born around Barnemaghery and baptised in Ballmacarret (all Presbyterian). At present there has been no marriage for her and Thomas found but she is named on the children’s baptisms. She died in March 1870 in County Down.

We know this is the correct lady as many of the males from her sons down in the line have Gardiner as a 1st or middle name. The most recent is a man born in the 1990’s in Ireland, and my great grandad was Gardiner and one of his sons had it as a middle name. My Dad said had he had a son it would have had Gardiner as a middle name. Some of them males don’t have the “I” in their name and it is Gardner, we don’t know if this due to transcription or accent etc.

I have to say that I feel very “lucky” to have received this information in the week of St Patrick’s Day, and the “luck” of the Irish is definitely with me as I have been trying to find this information for about 13years with no luck.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2021 Week 1 (Jan. 1-10): Beginnings – Contact with new cousin S.

Week 4 – Close to home (Jan 22-28)

Week 3 – Long Line (Jan 15-21)