WEEK 7 – Outcast

 WEEK 7 - Outcast

This is a bit of a strange story, but in my head it makes perfect sense so please bear with me. It isn’t about me but links to me and not because the person is related.

I have recently added the husband to a cousin on my tree, nothing unusual there I hear you say. Well, this poor mans name had me asking lots of questions, the 1st and most important being WHY would you name your child that? The reason for this question is when I was at school in the 1990s his name was actually used as an insult to others. And I’m 99% certain if a child was called by it today they would be “outcast” from other people.


i

So ,what is the wonderful name of this man and an insult from the 1990s? Nimrod! As per the mage left it is biblical and means “we shall rise up, we shall rebel”. And from internet searches it was quite popular in the 1830s.

Nimrod Cornwell was born 19th April 1831 in Coggeshall Essex to Meshack and Elizabeth. He was baptised the 5th June 1831 in Coggeshall.

On 30th May 1864 Nimrod married Lucy Purkiss, my 2nd cousin 4x removed, in London. The following year they had a daughter.

I have Nimrod on the 1861 census listed as brother, I can’t make out his occupation and on the 1871 he is living in London (not with his wife) but as a lodger and working as a stable hand. I cant find him on any other records.

Sadly this is only a short tale as I can’t find much on him. I hope that he hasn’t taken offence at being classed as an “outcast”.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2021 Week 1 (Jan. 1-10): Beginnings – Contact with new cousin S.

Week 4 – Close to home (Jan 22-28)

Week 3 – Long Line (Jan 15-21)