Week 4 (Jan. 25-31): Favourite Photo – George Robert Haylock/Alice Adelaide Mason

 Week 4 (Jan. 25-31): Favourite Photo – George Robert Haylock/Alice Adelaide Mason

Due to my laptop dying last year I lost many of my photos that I had found online or been sent by other people, but I had many “proper” photos and had scanned them and added to an online family tree.

Of my proper photos I think one of my “favourite photos” would have to be this one of George Robert Haylock and his wife Alice Adelaide Mason.  It was taken in their daughter Dora’s garden at 26 Longlands Road, Emsworth, but I have no idea of the year but would be before 1962.

The photo shows them both very smartly dressed and gives me the impression that they were very proud and well to do people. It seems miles off from what George did for a living as a general labourer and jobbing gardener, of which you would expect him to be quite messy etc. I wonder if it was a wedding, christening or funeral etc, or if when he wasn’t working he did dress this way. Maybe this was Sunday best and they were going to church – I have no idea at all. But whatever the occasion was I love this photo.

George was born 28th November 1880 in Swaffham Bulbeck, Cambridgeshire and died 16th November 1970 Emsworth, Hampshire. Alice was born 1st December 1878 in Hackney, London and died O-N-D 1962 in Chichester, Hampshire.

George was one of my ancestors whose family changed their surname and used the wife's maiden name on records as well as her husbands. This has caused many issues over the years of research. George appears to have only changed name once, his parents did it between all census records etc. This has led to many people telling me that George obviously died young as they couldn’t find him on further records. I can clearly state that George DIDN’T die as a child as you can see from the above photo, and if he had he would not have had 3 children, and 4 grandchildren and at least 2 great grandchildren, me being one of them.

His daughter Dora always spoke fondly of him, and said that he was a strict but fair gentleman. He would help anyone he could and she recalled him entering local vegetable competitions with things he had grown in his garden.

The information below has been taken from various records linked to George and show his occupation, all pretty much the same thing. I would love to know why he moved around so much, but sadly its something I will never know. It's not with the miners that moved round from pit to pit.

1901 census – general labourer/worker in West Ham

1903 his marriage – general labourer in Bottisham Cambridgeshire

1903 son birth certificate – house keeper in Romford Essex

1904 daughters birth certificate – farm labourer in Alcester Warwickshire

1908 sons birth certificate – farm labourer in Evesham Warwickshire

1911 census – jobbing gardener at Forstal Farm, Hunters Forstal, Herne Bay Kent

1932 sons marriage cert- Gardener in Maidstone Kent

1939 census – jobbing gardener heavy work in Worthing Sussex

1939 daughters marriage cert – gardener in Emsworth Hampshire

1970 death certificate – gardener retired in Emsworth Hampshire


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2021 Week 1 (Jan. 1-10): Beginnings – Contact with new cousin S.

Week 4 – Close to home (Jan 22-28)

Week 3 – Long Line (Jan 15-21)