How many trees to make a (Forest) Family?

How many trees to make a Forest Family?

So, I ask this question? How many trees does it take to make a family? Many people will probably wonder what I'm on about, think I'm mad etc as trees make forests (and paper) NOT families. This is semi true, trees also make families if you are doing a family tree!

So I ask the question again - How many trees does it take to make a family? Many people would say one. In many ways I agree with this BUT in another way I totally don't agree, read on and I will explain my reason and logic for this.

As it stands I currently have 15 family trees on my family tree maker. You may be think who needs that many or do I have so many etc. Let me tell you. I have my "main family tree", this doesn't get people added to it until I have a proven link that they are related to me. I have in the past added people as I found them only to find out down the line that they didn't marry my joe blogs, but joe blogs round the corner and had to then go and remove them which isn't easy. Therefore I have many sub-trees of which i add info to until i can find a definite link to me.

My 3rd Great Grandfather has a sub-tree because between myself and 2 others who are related we have all got a different wife for him and baptism records for various children. None of us know if he was married to all 3 ladies (hopefully not at once anyhow), or if there are 3 men of the same name and each had a wife. The problem is he and his wives are Irish and many of the records were destroyed. So, until such time as I can confirm or deny the wives they live on their own. He is in my main tree, along with the lady I have as the mother of my 2nd Great Grandmother.

Recently, I was made aware of some family of my maiden name living where in my local area in the late 1890's. I wasn't aware of them and set about trying to find a link. (So far I haven't done this, but I'm not giving up. I did manage to link the family of 8miles away though (again late 1890's), even though the spelling of their name was changed slightly. The grandfather of the family 8miles away was the brother of my 2nd great grandfather.

I had another lady inform me about the Lackey family living an hours drive from where I live, who she believes are linked to those of where I live. SO, off I go again looking for them, and make yet another sub-tree (can you now understand why I have so many???) I have a tree listed as Ulverston Cumbria and another listed as Barrow Cumbria (not to mention the Whitehaven ones), BUT I have a feeling  that the Barrow and Ulverston are related as one of the gentleman was born in Ulverston. And on this line I think they are related to the Whitehaven ones as another gentleman was born Whitehaven.

As I was looking at the birth records online for the name Lackey I realised there is a lot more of them than I actually was aware of. I took a screen shot of them and added to a word document which in total has 41 pages of A4 paper! So there are LOTS of Lackey family in the UK. Some are still living and it would be great to find a link to any of those. This could be the start of a one-name study, but I know they take a lot of hard work.

To conclude for now my answer is 1 main tree and 14 sub-trees. This could all change as I find more people, make more trees for the Lackey family not in my local area but across the whole of the UK or merge them together.

IF you know anything of the Lackey family, whether in Cumbria, from Ireland (where my lot came from), lived in Durham area (where mine settled from Ireland) or are linked to them from anywhere in the UK please get in touch with me as you may just have a piece of this puzzle that could help me.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2021 Week 1 (Jan. 1-10): Beginnings – Contact with new cousin S.

Week 4 – Close to home (Jan 22-28)

Week 3 – Long Line (Jan 15-21)