Week 6 (Feb. 8-14): Valentine – Sydney Valentine Fountain


Week 6 (Feb. 8-14): Valentine – Sydney Valentine Fountain

For this week’s theme of “Valentine” I can’t say that I have any old love letters or documents that have been handed down, no stories linked to “Valentines” that I could use (my first marriage was 2 days after “Valentines” day but we will leave that there!) So I then thought of people I could use and I planned on using my Great Grandfather John “Valentine” Thompson. However, I used him last year under the theme of bearded, and as I have no new information on him it seemed pointless. What I will say linked to him is I have no idea of why or how he got the middle name “Valentine” as he wasn’t born on or near “Valentines” day, it wasn’t his Father’s name or middle name, it wasn’t his Mother’s maiden name or linked to her as far as I can see.

I looked through my family tree online did a search for the name “Valentine” and I had a total of 4 people (including John) with the middle name “Valentine”. 1 was John’s son and he obviously had it from his father, but there is no more information on him that would make for interesting reading. I couldn’t find anything interesting linked to the lady either, lastly I came to Sydney “Valentine” Fountain and I hit the jackpot (well for the purpose of this theme I have!)

Sydney “Valentine” Fountain is a very distant relative of mine – he is the maternal 1st cousin of the husband of the mother-in-law of my maternal grandmother. (See image left).

Sydney was born on “Valentines” day in 1917 in Edmonton (London/Essex) (see image below).  He was baptised on the 4th March 1917 in Edmonton, London. I'm guessing this is why he was given the middle name of "valentine", as its not linked to his Parents.


According to the 1939 census Sydney was a bench fitter (M/C shop). (see image below). He was single.

Sydney married a lady called Kathleen in October 1939 in Edmonton. They were out in Spain before Sydney died, I’m not sure if they lived there or what. But Sydney died in Alicante, Spain on 23rd January 1993.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2021 Week 1 (Jan. 1-10): Beginnings – Contact with new cousin S.

WEEK 27 – The great outdoors

52 ancestors Week 40 (Sept. 30-Oct. 6): Oldest