Week 5 (Feb. 1-7): In the Kitchen – John Cook

 Week 5 (Feb. 1-7): In the KitchenJohn Cook

I don’t have anyone with the name of “Kitchen” or similar in my tree, nor do I really have any interesting stories to share about the kitchen (I did think of the kitchen fire I had, but that links to me again), but what do you do in the “Kitchen”? You cook! And I have Cook’s in my tree. I would like to say before I start on the Cook’s that my youngest son Blake wants to be a chef and has done since her 18months old and had a chef come to his nursery school.

I wasn’t sure which of the Cook family to use, but as I was looking through them, I came across a Royal Marine Marriage record (see below). So, I decided to go with this person, especially as none of them were actual Cooks/chefs.

John Cook was born 22nd June 1854 in Brompton Kent. He was the maternal grandfather of the wife of my maternal grandfather, so not really a close link but one of marriage. He was baptised on Christmas Day when he was 7years old. He was the son of Joseph Cook and Charlotte Moody.

According to the 1871 census John was in the Royal Marines, he was only aged 16years old. He had 2 daughters born between the 1871 and 1881 census, and according to records he didn’t marry until the October of 1881, however, the 1881 census I have found that could be him (listed as a Marine on vessel) says married, as does the record for 1881 for his “wife” Rose Emma, and she is at his brother’s house. There is a possibility that in 1901 he was a dock worker, but I’ve not confirmed this.

On the 1911 census his wife is listed as widow, and the information on it says married for 22years, which takes it to 1903. This made finding a death much easier and was in Jan 1903 in Faversham, Kent.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2021 Week 1 (Jan. 1-10): Beginnings – Contact with new cousin S.

Week 3 – Long Line (Jan 15-21)

Week 4 – Close to home (Jan 22-28)