Week 20 (May 17-23): Cousin Bait

Week 20 (May 17-23): Cousin Bait – Ancestry 

I had never heard of the term “cousin bait” before so I had to look it up. From an online search I concluded that “cousin bait” is “to attract research cousins, people that have information on your genealogy and are willing to share it with you.” So from this my initial thought was Ancestry!

There are many people who share the same ancestors as me, most of us probably don’t even realise we are related in someway!

Ancestry has helped me in the past via the message boards and I have connected with a few cousins, some of whom I am still in contact with. A lovely lady in USA, who is related to me via my 2nd great grandmother Mary Jane Jackson. Mary is her 2nd great aunt. Mary’s brother is the main link of this lady. I didn’t even know about the said brother (I knew of others but not him). We have swapped information and certificates and helped each other with the trees not on this line.

Around the same time as the above a lady had seen some information I had posted online about the grave of an ancestor, she lived not too far and said would go and get me a photo. When she posted it to me she had added loads of information as well, like me she was also a Lackey at birth and linked to those I was researching. We stayed in contact for many years but sadly lost contact.

After my Dad died I found a photo that listed “cousin M… and cousin H…” on the back. Again they were Lackey family, I looked online and found that they were still living and posted them both letters, 1 replied and in it had said my sister doesn’t want contact please don’t message her again. Myself and the man were contact for a few years and he shared many photos with me, and even gave me the address of an elderly aunt. She also shared some information but not often.

There is also a couple out in USA who messaged me as I had the mans grandmother in my tree – his grandmother was the sister-in-law of my grandmother. After we started talking it turns out that we were both at his grandmothers funeral many years ago and him and his brothers were in regular contact with my Dad. Then more recently a lady posted a photo on facebook and named her ancestor in it. I commented that I had relatives of that surname and we got talking and we share the same 6th great grandparents. There has been others over the years that have sent and shared information but never stayed in contact with me.

Aside from the nice ones mentioned I have come across many idiots that I would rather not deal with or even think that I am related to due to messages they have sent me. 1. You have spelt your son’s name wrong it should have a capital K in the middle – errr no it shouldn’t I gave birth to him and named him, the capital K is used in surnames not 1st names, so no it’s not wrong. 2. You’re great grandfather doesn’t exist – he died as a child as not on census records – errr IF he died as a child please explain HOW I am here? How I have photos of him as an old man? How I have certificates linked to him? To be told I can’t have and wouldn’t listen that he had changed his name. 3. You have wrong information her and her husband didn’t have any children but you have a daughter listed – errr  you’re partly correct her and her husband didn’t have any children but she had a daughter outside of marriage (not linked to husband on tree).

I don’t fully go out of my way to post adverts looking for cousins nor do I post information to lure them to me. I share my information in a blog and reply to messages on groups and if I make contact then great, if I don’t its also fine. So in some ways I do use the “cousin bait” but not in a way just to gather information.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2021 Week 1 (Jan. 1-10): Beginnings – Contact with new cousin S.

Week 4 – Close to home (Jan 22-28)

Week 3 – Long Line (Jan 15-21)