52 ancestors Week 14 (Apr. 5-11): Great

 Week 14 (Apr. 5-11): Great

I wasn’t sure what I was going to do for this weeks theme of “great” as it could cover so many things (like many of the topics/themes). But after some thinking time and going back to an ancestor I only had basic information on, I have decided to use my 5th “great” grandfather Oakley Briggs.

Up until recently I had limited information on him – I had his name, his date of birth, date of death, both of his marriages and a few of his children. BUT, I thought he needed looking into as he’s not a “great” grandparent I really know much about.

My 5thgreat” grandfather  Oakley Briggs was born 23 SEPTEMBER 1761 in Bethnal Green, UK. He was the 2nd child but the 1st son of Oakley Briggs and Anne Shears, he did also have 2 older half siblings from his fathers 1st marriage. He was 1 of 7 children (that I have found).

Oakley died in October 1835 when he was 74years old, and he was back in Bethnal Green, which is where he is buried. During his life he seemed to move all around Middlesex and London areas - according to children's baptism records. Did he move for work or was a Traveller?

At the age of 17years Oakley married his 1st wife Mary Charlotte Beasley; she was approximately 6years older than he was. They were Married on 06 Jun 1779 at Saint Botolph without Bishopsgate, London, England.  There is no record of his occupation on the parish register.

They had 3 definite children but there is possibly a 4th near Mary’s death. I have found “child” with no name listed on various other family trees for the year that Mary died, but I have not found any records to confirm this, so it could just be speculation as to her cause of death.

From what I have found I believe that in the same year that Mary died, Oakley re-married, his 2nd wife was Sarah Fray; she was 3years older than Oakley. They were married on 19 Sep 1790 at St Dunstan and All Saints, Stepney, England. Again, there is no record of his occupation on the parish register.

They had 7 children that I am aware of.

On his daughter Susannah’s marriage certificate in 1837 Oakley is listed as a weaver. None of his other children’s marriages list an occupation for him.

I did get an interesting hint on Ancestry linked to him, it was linked to other family trees and Oakley is listed in 92 other trees!!! I’ve not looked at them all but it seems my 5th “great” grandfather is linked to a lot of people!

Since finding out about Oakley, I have discovered more information linked to his father Oakley Briggs (my 6th "great" grandfather) and his mother, my 7th "great" grandmother. She was Sarah Oakley, where the guys got their name from!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2021 Week 1 (Jan. 1-10): Beginnings – Contact with new cousin S.

Week 4 – Close to home (Jan 22-28)

Week 3 – Long Line (Jan 15-21)