Week 17 (Apr. 26-May 2): Favourite Place – Ashness Bridge linked to Mum and Dad

 Week 17 (Apr. 26-May 2): Favourite Place – Ashness Bridge linked to Mum and Dad

When I saw this weeks theme there was no question about where it had to be. One of my “favourite places” is Ashness Bridge near Keswick in the Lake District, UK. However, it does link to two people that were both used last year – My parents Peter William Lackey and Barbara May Haylock!

Ashness bridge is a “favourite place” of mine for a couple of reasons. 1. It is a beautiful place no matter the time of the year as the surrounding landscapes is always really nice and changes every time you visit. 2. It was the place me and my sister scattered my parent’s ashes after they died.

Even if there are people around you can always find a stone near the bridge to sit on and just think (and cry). Occasionally passing people will ask if you are ok etc, but many just say hello and carry on their way.

In 1972 when my parents got married; they spent their honeymoon at the Lodor Falls Hotel, which is about a 10minute walk from Ashness Bridge. They said that they had spent lots of time walking around the bridge and area up the mountains from it. They were originally meant to be on their honeymoon for 1week. However, nearly 4weeks later they went back home. Whilst growing up we had a stitched photo on the wall of Ashness Bridge that my Mum had made after her honeymoon.

Sadly, due to my parents ill health and disabilities, they were never able to return to the area, nor bring me and my sister here on holiday as they said they would have loved to have done. So me and my sister decided that this would be their final resting place. I can't think of anywhere else that is more fitting for them to be. They were obviously really happy here to have extended their honeymoon and then for my Mum to se a picture of the bridge.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2021 Week 1 (Jan. 1-10): Beginnings – Contact with new cousin S.

Week 4 – Close to home (Jan 22-28)

Week 3 – Long Line (Jan 15-21)