Week 13 (Mar. 29-Apr. 4): Music

 Week 13 (Mar. 29-Apr. 4): Music

I have had many thoughts as to who I could use linked to the theme of “music” – both myself and my sister played “musical” instruments, my Dad claimed many times “he had “musical” farts” great uncle Cecil was well know in the “music” industry as a singer (but have used before), a distant cousin was apparently a great “musician” but I have limited information on him. Then there was a close cousin who I have decided to use.

John Dennis Collen was born in May 1970 in Peterborough,
to Margaret Thompson and Dennis Collen. I don’t know much about John’s life during childhood as he was almost a teenager when I was born. It wasn’t until later in life that we got to know each other better. I do remember that he would come to my Nan’s house most weekends for Sunday dinner.

I thing I recall from my early years linked to John was that he performed magic tricks at one of my birthday parties. I think I would have been about 4years old. I don’t think this was more than just a hobby for him.

However, I do know that he had a job at local radio station. I know this because 1 weekend near Christmas I was at my Nan’s house and she rang the radio station and live on air across the whole of Peterborough I sang my own version of “little donkey”. I was 5years old at the time!!! At the time it probably seemed really sweet but now I wonder what my family were thinking when they let me do it.

From his job at the radio he got involved with their stage unit that went to “music” events and shows etc. Over the years he became more involved and eventually bought the soundstage equipment and made it his own business – Soundstage One. He bought more stages and was always at big shows and doing concerts etc. As a teenager I was involved with St John Ambulance and we often provided the first aid cover for the events that housed my cousin John’s stages. We started talking and at many of these events he would get me back stage to meet some of the “musicians” and actors and famous people. Some of those that I met over the years include: Tim Vincent (blue peter presenter), PJ & Duncan (aka Ant & Dec), Busted, Mcfly, Damage, boys 2 men, Blue, Peter Andre, 911, Timmy Mallett

Move forward a few (lot of) years and John met a lovely lady who he married and they had 3 children together, all of which are close in age to my own children and we spent many days together for birthdays or so the kids could just play. We would also go out for nights out together. We are still all very close.

Sadly in May 2020 John took his own life. This has been very hard for all of us. He is deeply missed by all who knew him. Rest in Peace John.

But from his early start at the radio station, “music” became his life and he dedicated everything he had to his “music” and stage business.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2021 Week 1 (Jan. 1-10): Beginnings – Contact with new cousin S.

Week 4 – Close to home (Jan 22-28)

Week 3 – Long Line (Jan 15-21)