Week 23 (June 7-13): Bridge

 Week 23 (June 7-13): Bridge

This weeks theme of “Bridge” would have been great for where we scattered my parents ashes at Ashness “Bridge” in the Lake District but I used it for a favourite place. An uncle lives in “Bridgewater” but not much I can write about him, I had thought I may end up using a lady called “Bridget” but when I started to type in her name, a distant ancestor came up with the surname “Bridge” so I started to look into him.

Edward "Bridge" was the husband of my 3rd great-grand aunt on my mothers side.

Edward “Bridge” was the eldest child and 1st son of James “Bridge” and Susannah Starling, and brother to 9 known siblings. Edward was born on 15th July 1834 in Westerly Waterless, Cambridgeshire, UK, he was baptised 29th March 1835 at Westerly Waterless, Cambridgeshire.

On the 1851 census Edward was 16 and listed as a farm labourer, in 1861 and 1871 census he is listed as an ag labourer. In 1881 he is listed as a Hawker (I had to look this up and its someone who sells his ware in the street by shouting about them), in 1891 and 1901 he is listed as a carrier (again looked up and is similar to the hawker carrying and selling his own wares).

Edward "Bridge" married Anne Seeley 3rd October 1857 in Whittlesford, Cambridgeshire. They had one child that I am aware of – Susannah who was born in 1858 in Cambridgeshire, she is on the 1861 census. There may have been others that were born and died between census records but there are so many with the "Bridge" surname in the area at the moment i'm saying not known, (especially as none show with mothers maiden name).

Edward died in June 1902 in Cambridgeshire

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2021 Week 1 (Jan. 1-10): Beginnings – Contact with new cousin S.

Week 4 – Close to home (Jan 22-28)

Week 3 – Long Line (Jan 15-21)