52 ancestors Week 42 (Oct. 14-20): Proud

 

Week 42 (Oct. 14-20): Proud

From Amy Johnson-Crow - Who is an ancestor that you are proud of? What about an ancestor who did something they should have been proud of? Maybe a discovery that you're proud you made because it was so hard to find?

The theme of “proud” could cover many things. I’m “proud” of all 3 of my sons, I’m “proud” of how my Mum battled cancer for over 20years etc. HOWEVER, I don’t feel that does the word (or the people) justice. And for that reason I am not using them. I am going to use to my 2 Grandfathers though, as they both served in the war and I am “proud” of them and the fact that I have their medals.

William Liddle Lackey, was my Paternal Grandfather, he was born 12th March 1906 in West Rainton, Durham. He married Hilda wood in 1932 in Peterborough. He died 23rd November 1959 in Bourne, Lincolnshire.

William’s military career began in 1939, when he signed up to serve in the Royal Army Service Corps as a dispatch rider. (The photo to the right was him in unform). He served out in Italy, (the photo left was him and 2 colleagues in Italy, William is on right). At the end of the war he returned to his normal job as a grocer.

He was awarded the 1939-1945 star for WW11 (navy, red and blue ribbon), the defence medal (red, navy and white ribbon), the Italy star 1945 (red, white and green ribbon) and the war medal 1945 (green and orange ribbon). I have all of these.



Reginald Edward Haylock was my Maternal Grandfather, he was born 29th October 1903 in Romford Essex. He was the eldest cild and eldest son of George Robert Haylock (also known as Bigmore) and Alice Adelaide Mason. He died 22nd January 1979 in Ely, Cambridgeshire. The photo (left) was taken a few years before he died at the local pub where he was part of the darts team.                                                                                                                                                                                         Reginald’s military career started on 15th November 1921, aged 18years, he signed up as a carpenters mate in the Royal West Kent Regiment. He served out in Poona, India. In 1942 he transferred to the Royal Artillery and in 1951 after 26years he left the military. He was awarded the Long Service and Good conduct medal (red and cream ribbon) and the Coronation medal (red, white and blue ribbon). (We have also found online that he would have received 2 or 3 others, but have not had this confirmed, nor do I own them. BUT i do plan to look into them more in the new year.

I am “proud” of both of these gentlemen and just as “proud” to own their medals.













Comments

  1. THE TOP PART OF THIS POST SHOULD READ AS FOLLOWS:

    Week 42 (Oct. 14-20): Proud
    From Amy Johnson-Crow - Who is an ancestor that you are proud of? What about an ancestor who did something they should have been proud of? Maybe a discovery that you're proud you made because it was so hard to find?

    The theme of “proud” could cover many things. I’m “proud” of all 3 of my sons, I’m “proud” of how my Mum battled cancer for over 20years etc. HOWEVER, I don’t feel that does the word (or the people) justice. And for that reason I am not using them. I am going to use to my 2 Grandfathers though, as they both served in the war and I am “proud” of them and the fact that I have their medals.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2021 Week 1 (Jan. 1-10): Beginnings – Contact with new cousin S.

Week 4 – Close to home (Jan 22-28)

Week 3 – Long Line (Jan 15-21)