52 ancestors Week 33 (Aug. 12-18): Trouble maker

From Amy Johnson-Crow - There's one in every family. If you don't want to write about a literal troublemaker, how about an ancestor who has been troublesome to research?

For the theme of “trouble maker” my initial thought was myself as I don’t follow rules, I do as I please, I’m outspoken and many of the family don’t like it, but I don’t want all of this to be about me, it kind of defeats the purpose of doing it. But I was bad, I was hyperactive and outspoken and many of the family didn’t like this and they still don’t to this day! I'm classed as the modern day "black sheep".

I have adapted the theme slightly to “troublesome” and have gone with a distant relative - my 1st cousin 5x removed John Haylock. It isn't so much that he was a "troublesome" person, but he was "troublesome" to research.

John was born in about 1808 in Great Thurlow, Suffolk, as it stands I don't have a definite date and the year varies on different records and other peoples trees. He married Anne Guymer on 10th March 1829 in Northwold, Norfolk. Him and Anne had 13 children (other people have between 11 and 16 listed in their trees but at least 1 of these can be discredited as he was born after both John and Anne had died by 13years! My thoughts was grandchild but listed wrongly)

According to the 1841 and 1851 UK census John was an ag lab in and around the Great Thurlow area. I don't think they owned their own land or farm.

He and his family left the UK on 29th May 1852 (Tuesday) from Plymouth, Devon, England on "the Omega Ship" heading for Adelaide, Australia. The arrived in Adelaide 24th August 1852.

The following snippet of information is from the ships log "Tuesday, August 24, 1852:-The ship Omega, 765 tons, Potter master, from London and Plymouth 29th May 1852. Passengers:— Doctor Allsop, Surgeon Superintendent in the cabin. Messrs. Francis Henry & William Frederick Villiers, Miss Sanderson, Mrs. Henry and Mrs. Keynes, in the intermediate; and the following Government emigrants. There were six births ands six deaths reported on board the Omega during her passage from England. —14th ship from England to S.A. with government passengers for 1852 ; six births and six deaths on the passage, Doctor Allsop, surgeon-superintendent."

John died the 14th August 1861 in Victoria, Australia and he is burried there.

The reason he has been “troublesome” to research (and also his family) is that you need a worldwide subscription to sites to find records and I have never been in the position that I could afford to get one. I have had help from people that do have one but it has still left me with limited information as I don’t have the census records or baptism records to refer back to. I also don’t have any certificates for this part of the family as would cost too much to get sent from Australia to the UK. 

I know the records are out there for him as i have seen them come up as hints and stuff on Family history websites, I think next year I am going to take out a 1month subscription world wide to a site so that i can get the records, copy them and add to my personal files.

Comments

  1. THERE ARE BITS OF THE ABOVE POST MISSING SO IVE ADDED IT ALL HERE:

    Week 33 (Aug. 12-18): Trouble maker
    From Amy Johnson-Crow - There's one in every family. If you don't want to write about a literal troublemaker, how about an ancestor who has been troublesome to research?
    For the theme of “trouble maker” my initial thought was myself as I don’t follow rules, I do as I please, I’m outspoken and many of the family don’t like it, but I don’t want all of this to be about me, it kind of defeats the purpose of doing it. But I was bad, I was hyperactive and outspoken and many of the family didn’t like this and they still don’t to this day!
    I have adapted the theme to “troublesome” and have gone with a distant relative (1st cousin 5x removed) John Haylock.
    John was born in about 1808 in Great Thurlow, Suffolk. He married Anne Guymer 10th March 1829 Northwold, Norfolk. Him and Anne had 13 children (other people have between 11 and 16 but at least 1 can be discredited as he was born after both John and Anne had died by 13years!)
    According to the 1841 and 1851 UK census John was an ag lab.
    He and his family left the UK on 29th May 1852 (tuesday) from Plymouth, Devon, England on "the omega" heading for Adelaide, Australia. He died the 14th August 1861 in Victoria, Australia.
    The reason he has been “troublesome” to research (and also his family) is that you need a worldwide subscription to sites to find records and I have never been in the position that I could afford to get one. I have had help from people that do have one but it has still left me with limited information as I don’t have the census records or baptism records to refer back to. I also don’t have any certificates for this part of the family as would cost too much to get sent from Australia to the UK.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2021 Week 1 (Jan. 1-10): Beginnings – Contact with new cousin S.

Week 4 – Close to home (Jan 22-28)

Week 3 – Long Line (Jan 15-21)