52 ancestors Week 16 (April 15th -21st ): Air


Week 16 (April 15th -21st ): Air



From Amy Johnson Crow - This theme might be a bit tricky, as most of us don't have pilots or hot air balloonists in our family tree. Be creative. Think of place names, such as Mt. Airy or the "Big Sky" area of Montana. Or "toss it all up in the air" and pick someone at random!

I have a (VERY) distant ancestor who has the surname of “Air” so I plan to use him (and his son) for this weeks theme. John “Air” is the “husband of sister-in-law of 1st cousin 1x removed of husband of sister-in-law of 2nd cousin 2x removed” (see what I mean about VERY distant?) John was born about 1856 in Morpeth, Northumberland, UK. I have found a Baptism for a John “Air” in April 1856 but I’m not sure if this is my man or not. He married Isabella Dryden in  April 1879 in Morpeth.

John and Isabella only had 1 child (that I know of) John Thomas “Air” born in 1880 in Morpeth, Northumberland, UK. On the 1881 census John (senior) is listed as a Joiner. Sadly, he died on 23rd January 1882 aged 25years. This is confirmed by his grave (that he shares with his wife’s family the Drydens.)




The inscription on it reads: In Affectionate Remembrance of GEORGE DRYDEN, of Morpeth who departed this life Septr. 22nd 1858 aged 50 years.  Also THOMAS, his son who died June 12th 1855, aged 5 years & 10 months.  ISABELLA, his wife died Septr 13th 1891, aged 77 years.  MARY JANE, their daughter wife of ROBERT HUNTLEY, died June 9th 1885, aged 43 years.  MARY HORSLEY, Mother-in-law of the above GEORGE DRYDEN died June 10th 1870.

I have no idea of the cause of his death and without purchasing his death certificate I wont know.

His son John Thomas “Air” was born in 1880 in Morpeth, Northumberland. He is listed on the 1881 census as 1year old. On the 1891 census he is listed as John T “Air”, Grandson aged 11years. On the 1901 census he is listed as postman. And on the 1911 census, listed as son, single and a postman. In 1914 he signed up to the Royal Engineers. In 1922 John Thomas married Elizabeth Straughon Hume in Morpeth, Northumberland. On the 1939 census John is listed as Sorting, Clerk & Telegraphist, so I am guessing still linked to the post office.

John Thomas died in April 1957 in Morpeth, Northumberland, Uk. I haven’t found a grave for him. According to his will he left £4906 4s 5d to his wife Elizabeth.

Unfortunately, the “Air” family isn’t well known in my tree as they are such distant relatives. I only found them as I hit a brickwall on my main line and started looking at siblings and their ancestors etc.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2021 Week 1 (Jan. 1-10): Beginnings – Contact with new cousin S.

Week 4 – Close to home (Jan 22-28)

Week 3 – Long Line (Jan 15-21)