52 ancestors Week 18 (April 29th -May 5th ): Where There’s a Will


From Amy Johnson Crow - I've been asked if this theme means a will (as in the probate document) or will (as in being determined or strong minded). Maybe you've come across an interesting will. Explain it like you would to a non-genealogist. What story does it reveal? You could write about an ancestor who was determined to do something. (Or maybe you have an ancestor named Will!) Do you have an ancestor who left an interesting will? Have you used a will to solve a problem? Or, what ancestor showed a lot of will in his or her actions? 

I did think of writing about a “will linked to 1 of my ancestors but most that I have found only left a small amount of money so nothing really exciting. The best I could come up with linked to it is from my own experience of “When there’s a “will” there’s always relatives (you hardly ever see or don’t even know) crawling out of woodwork like insects!!!”

Anyway, I decided to use my paternal Grandfather “William” Liddle Lackey. William was born on 12th March 1906 in West Rainton, Durham uk. He was the 2nd child and 2nd son of Gardiner and Margaret Lackey. I don’t know if William was ever known as “Will” or not, but I do know on some family photos he is listed as “billy”.

In 1920, at aged only 14years William had a job as a dispatch rider, a messenger who carries military dispatches (usually on a motorcycle). I have no proof of this only word passed down from my Dad Peter, William's son.

In 1932 Wiliam married Hilda Wood in Peterborough, Uk. William and Hilda had 2 children a daughter born in 1938 who only lived a few hours and my Dad Peter who was born in 1941.

In 1939 William was a Grocery Store assistant and was also issued another bible at Walton-on-Thames, Surrey, Uk. I have no idea what he was doing in Surrey or why he was linked to a church there.

However, in 1939 he did enlist to the Royal Army Service Corps where he was involved until 1945, so he may have been posted in Surrey and that links to the bible – this is only guess work on my part. He was awarded 4 medals at the end of the War and he served out in Italy. The photo (right) was taken there.

William’s medals are pictured left. He received the following: 1939-45 Star Date: 1945 Campaign: World War II.  The Battle of Britain medal. War Medal Date: 1945 Campaign: World War II. Italy Star Date: 1945 Campaign: World War II. I have all of these in my possession.

After the war he continued his job in the grocery trade and on his sons marriage certificate it  said “c-op grocery store manager” (deceased). William died in 1959 in Deeping St James Lincolnshire from Coronary Thrombosis (a 
blood clot in the heart) and Atherosclerosis (a disease in which plaque builds up in the arteries).  William did leave a “will”.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2021 Week 1 (Jan. 1-10): Beginnings – Contact with new cousin S.

Week 4 – Close to home (Jan 22-28)

Week 3 – Long Line (Jan 15-21)