WEEK 44 – spirits

 WEEK 44 – spirits

For the theme of “spirits” I did consider those linked to witchcraft but only 2 people come to mind and I’ve already written about them, so I went with an ancestor who sold “spirits” linked to the local pub.

John Mizon was the father-in-law of my 2nd cousin 5x removed, so a distant relative. He was the son of Joseph and Sarah, born October 1801 in Haverhill. He married Hannah Wallis in November 1822 in Haverhill and they had 9 children. He died in February 1894.

On the 1841 census it looks like his occupation was Land, but I can’t be sure of this. By 1851 he and his family were living at the White Hart Inn in Haverhill, he is listed as post office messenger and beer seller, and the same in 1861. In 1871 he is a gardener and in 1881 he is a cotton weaver aged 79years.

I have confirmed that he was a seller of “spirits” via the CAMRA website where it lists all of the landlords of the pub. After the Mizons left the pub it later moved to the hands of the Bigmore family who I am also related to, the inn keeper was Walter Bigmore who is my 3rd cousin 4x removed, then his wife Emily.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2021 Week 1 (Jan. 1-10): Beginnings – Contact with new cousin S.

Week 4 – Close to home (Jan 22-28)

Week 3 – Long Line (Jan 15-21)