2021 Week 2 (Jan. 11-17): Family Legend – Lackey Family


 Week 2 (Jan. 11-17): Family Legend – Lackey Family

I’m not using the title of “family legend” as someone who is classed as a “family legend” for what they have done but in the sense of “family legend” linked to a story.

My initial thought for “family legend” was to use an ancestor that has been mentioned mainly at funerals and in stories told but no records can be found linked to him, but upon checking I used him in a 52/52 last year so the story would be the same as I have no new information.

Therefore I am going with my paternal lineage as a whole, the Lackey family of Ireland. The “family legend” around the Lackey family is that hundreds of years ago the Lackey family didn’t exist as such. They did, but not under the Lackey name, nor were they from Ireland. I know the name Lackey means “slave or servant” and this is linked to the “family legend”.

Story has it that the Lackey family originated from Scotland. They were part of the clan MacGregor (and if you can trace it far enough back they are linked to Rob Roy MacGregor!) Something happened to part of the clan and they were banished from Scotland and sent to Ireland where they were used as slaves/servants as punishment for their behaviour. They lost their name of MacGregor and were given the name of Lackey.

I know there are many websites with this information on and it is an interesting read. However, due to a lack of Irish records I have not been able to go as far back as I would like to do, and this means that I can’t prove or disprove that we came from Scotland. I would love nothing more than being able to do this and to get confirmation of a link to Rob Roy MacGregor.

So as it stands my “family legend” will be staying as just that for a long time to come.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2021 Week 1 (Jan. 1-10): Beginnings – Contact with new cousin S.

WEEK 27 – The great outdoors

52 ancestors Week 40 (Sept. 30-Oct. 6): Oldest