2021 - Week 3 (Jan. 18-24): Namesake – About me linked to Amy Rose and Dora Louise

 Week 3 (Jan. 18-24): Namesake – About me linked to Amy Rose and Dora Louise

According to the dictionary "namesake" is a noun - a person or thing that has the same name as another.

With the theme of “namesake” it really has to be linked to me as I’m the one doing this. Thankfully there is a story and link as to how I got my name (my sister wasn’t so lucky).

I’m Amy-Louise Watson (nee Lackey), I was born in 1982 in Peterborough to Barbara May Haylock and Peter William Lackey. I was their 2nd daughter. I spent most of my live in Peterborough, I went to school there, worked there, got married there, had my children there and then I moved to the Lake District in 2013.

There are many ladies in the Tree called Amy and I have been named after one who was my Great Grandmother – Amy Rose Bland, who was also named after her Grandmother Amy Emma Rice. Amy Rose was born in 1904 in West Ham, Essex (now London). According to my Mum (Barbara), in the early 1980’s the name Amy was no longer a popular name and hadn’t been for some time.

My middle name of Louise comes from my maternal Grandad’s sister Dora Louise Haylock, it was her middle name also. Again, my mum said that they had been in contact with her for a few years and it seemed to go nicely with the Amy and was the closest she could do linked to her dad Reginald Haylock. Dora was born in 1904 in Alcester Warwickshire.

As a child I could never find my name on souvenirs at zoos or the beach etc. So for this I don't like my "namesakes", had they been something different I may have got t
hings! Over the years it became a very popular name.

Many of the males in the tree do seem to have been named linked to fathers and grandfathers either as the same 1st name or used as a middle. There are some who have also been named after their uncles and siblings who died as babies etc.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2021 Week 1 (Jan. 1-10): Beginnings – Contact with new cousin S.

WEEK 27 – The great outdoors

52 ancestors Week 40 (Sept. 30-Oct. 6): Oldest