week 13 - (March 25th - 31st) - Nearly forgotten

From Amy Johnson Crow - Who in your research has been nearly forgotten? Another angle you could take: using a record that was nearly forgotten.

For this  week’s theme of “nearly forgotten” I have decided to go with my Great Uncle Victor A (? Arthur after his father) Bland/Thompson. The main times he has ever been mentioned is at funerals as “the deceased brother of……”, therefore to me he seems “nearly forgotten”, only once did my Nan Doreen Bland talk about him (and that was only as I questioned her on him).


Victor has been quite a mystery (and still is). Word from Doreen was that he was born a few years before her, so about 1922-24, he was in the Royal Navy and died at sea in the 1940’s. It is not known whether he is a “Bland” (supposed Mother’s maiden name) or a Thompson (supposed Fathers name) or if he did exist! I found this birth record and death record linked to the birth year I have been given, BUT it doesn’t match with how he died and the middle initial is wrong.

There is another record for a possible birth I have found, BUT this is very unlikely as the person who was meant to be his Mother would have only been 12/13years old and I can’t see this happening. So, I’m going to have buy the birth certificate to see if it is my Victor.


There are a couple of records on the 1939 census for a Victor Thompson/Bland and 1 that would match in with him being in the Royal Navy as he is listed as Seaman, Mercantile Marine, but is an inmate at HMP camp Hill on the Isle of Wight. IF this is my Victor it is certainly an interesting twist on him and his life. Could this be why he’s not really been discussed and is “nearly forgotten”?  












Comments

  1. the above victor at HMP isle of wight makes it near on impossible for for Amy Rose to have been his mother as she would have only been 11years old. And the only births i can find around this time the MMN dont match any link to family

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2021 Week 1 (Jan. 1-10): Beginnings – Contact with new cousin S.

WEEK 27 – The great outdoors

Week 3 – Long Line (Jan 15-21)