Week 11 (March 11th -17th ): Luck


From Amy Johnson Crow - Do you have an ancestor who was lucky at something? Lucky to be alive? Lucky at cards? Lucky in love? Maybe you have an ancestor with a name that reminds you of luck or fortune. There's always "luck of the Irish." Maybe you have a story of how luck played a role in finding an ancestor.

The theme of “luck” I have looked into all sorts of things – did I have anyone of that surname or a word that means “luck” such as fortune etc, any Christian names that meant “luck”, I couldn’t think of anyone that was “lucky” to be a live or “lucky” in cards/gabling etc, I do have Irish ancestors but again I can’t link them to “luck” or “luck of the Irish”. The answer to all of these was a big NO! So it's not my “lucky” day. Then I sat and thought about my ancestry “luck” and decided this was the route I needed to go.



I won’t say I’ve had “luck” on my side with the tree all of the time as I haven’t. Many times over the years I have had to cancel a subscription to a site or magazine as I can’t afford to keep it up, and I’ve had a lot of “bad luck” linked to buying certificates to only find they are NOT my relatives but have the same name and are born in the same time and area (easy with Smith and Wood). I also had “bad luck” with some of the living family and I was forbidden to look into the family tree by them (this didn’t stop me doing it though – I found ways that didn’t involve asking the living for help.) I have had bad “luck” linked to many brickwalls, of which some still exist.

However, all of the “negative” stuff aside I have also had some very good “luck” linked to my ancestors. My parents were “lucky” enough to have photos and documents and war medals in their possession from family members, which in turn have been passed to me. I have been “lucky” to use some great forums of which the members have helped me find things I can’t or do look ups and such. I was “lucky” enough to make contact with some of my Dads family after he died and they sent me photos and documents. Some of my ancestors were “lucky” in that they survived the wars and such.

So, in a round about sort of way I have had “luck” good and bad linked to my ancestry.

Comments

  1. We all need that little piece of luck in our family history.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2021 Week 1 (Jan. 1-10): Beginnings – Contact with new cousin S.

Week 4 – Close to home (Jan 22-28)

Week 3 – Long Line (Jan 15-21)