52 ancestors Week 51 (Dec. 20-26): Holidays

 Week 51 (Dec. 20-26): Holidays

I had hoped to have someone of the “holiday” name in my tree but no such luck. I don’t really have photos of the Christmas “holidays” except from my childhood onwards (and to be fair they are most likely the same as most other peoples). Then I thought it doesn’t say it has to be Christmas “holidays”, so I went with a fond memory of a summer “holiday”.

My mum (Barbara) never had a “holiday” as a child and she decided that me and my sister weren’t going to face this as we grew up. She would work hard and save up so that we could go “somewhere” for a “holiday” – whether it was a week long or just a weekend away on a mini “holiday” as she called them. We would stay with friends and family, we stayed in caravans and chalets etc.

Over the years we went to many places around the UK. My earliest memory of a “holiday” I was aged about 2years, was of a giant pig outside a local shop. Every night we had to go for a walk to see the pig so I could hug it good night. I’ve since been told this was in Bangor North Wales and was a butchers shop. (I believe this is where my love of pigs came from).

One year we had gone to Hemsby near Great Yarmouth on “holiday”, we were staying in a chalet. There were loads of other familys on the site as well. During the week me and my sister made friends with some of them and we all played together nicely. I’m not sure exactly how it came to happen but I remember that for the next 5 or so years we all met at the same site for the “holiday”.  (move forward to 2014 and my children were older we stayed on the same site as I had as a child, nothing had changed, the chalets were the same and all the kids played outside together. This brought back lovely memories of my “holidays” as a child.)

We spent many weekends staying with Auntie Dora and Uncle Bert in Portsmouth on mini “holidays” and even though they didn’t have children they looked after us and took us to places and all sorts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2021 Week 1 (Jan. 1-10): Beginnings – Contact with new cousin S.

Week 4 – Close to home (Jan 22-28)

Week 3 – Long Line (Jan 15-21)