Week 3 – Long Line (Jan 15-21)


Is there a trait or an occupation that seems to have been in your family tree for generations? Is there a line in your genealogy that's been in a particular place for a long, long time? Maybe you have Long as a surname. Be creative! From AJC

This topic has taken a bit of thinking of what to write about. My first thought was do I have anyone named “Long” in the tree that I could use (1 lady who is distant relative so not much use or info), I then thought about how “long” it has taken me to do research and such BUT that doesn’t fit with the long line theme, so thinking cap back on and I thought about the longest line of the family tree going back to whoever, but the little voice in my head says “wont most people use this?” I then thought about the Lackey family occupation as boot & shoemakers as a long line, but it wasn’t really that long, so I decide to look at photos for inspiration and that’s when it hit me – My parents wedding photo’s loads of them had a “Long Line” of people in them, so there we go, I got my idea.

My parents Peter William Lackey and Barbara May Haylock Wedding 29th August 1972 Peterborough registry office (as was then) Thorpe Hall.


Luckily for me my Mum (Barbara) let me have these photos way before she died and she told me who was in this photo. Sadly in 2020 there are very few of the people still alive.

Working from the left:-  *Old lady in brown and old man behind her were Groom’s Mother’s friend, (no idea of names now deceased), *Lady in red floral dress was the Bride’s best friend Ann Wilson (possibly alive), *Sid Bridgeman (in front of Ann, little man with glasses now deceased), *Lady in blue coat is Chrissie Holdsworth (the deafblind lady Barbara worked with, now deceased), *Lady in pale blue dress is Silvia Bridgeman (Sid’s wife now deceased), *Den Collen, *Margaret Collen nee Thompson (Lady in pink dress, now deceased) with cousin John Collen, *Lady stood behind Margaret is Verity ? (bride's friend from work), *grooms mother Hilda Lackey (nee wood now deceased) in blue patterned dress, *behind her is Charlie Wood (? Linked to family now deceased (he is at many family events and in photos but no link yet), *adult bridesmaid in purple dress Sandra Powell (Bride’s ½ sister), *Groom Peter William Lackey, *Bride Barbara May Haylock, *the best man Trevor ? (now deceased), *bride’s mother Doreen Powell (nee Thompson/Bland in yellow dress, now deceased), *bride’s step-father Stanley Powell (now deceased), *the 2 little bridesmaids are Ann Ward (taller one) and Lisa-Maria Clift  (little one), *the girl in yellow on front is Lydia (a friend of Doreen's daughter), *behind Stanley is Linda, (bridesmaid Lisa's mum, who is David Powell's (bride’s ½ bother) ex-sister in law, now deceased), *lady in green dress is Muriel ? (David's ex-mother in law, now deceased), *lady in blue dress is Breda (bride's best friend from school, possibly alive), *the man behind her is David, and the lady in the red top is his wife Margaret (they are my Godparents from Australia – this is not the bride’s ½ brother, no idea if they are still alive), *the little man on far right is Harry Ward (Ann's dad, now deceased).

There are other photos from the wedding that are in a longer line with more people but sadly I don’t know who they all are and therefore it seems a bit strange to use it if I only have half the information. And as most of them are deceased (including my parents) I don’t have anyone to ask.

My Mum’s wedding dress was cut down and used as a christening gown for both my sister (Fiona Lackey) and myself. I have her veil still at my house.

#52ancestors

Comments

  1. How sad that so many are deceased when taken in 'recently', you will have to try and locate those alive :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for your comment, yes it is sad that so many are deceased but most were fairly old at the wedding. I am in contact with 3 of those that are living, the friends i wouldnt know where to find them and the same with my godparents, all i know are their 1st names and they live in australia.

      Delete
  2. The good thing is you know who everyone is! Sadly so many photos get handed down with nobody having a clue who they are

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2021 Week 1 (Jan. 1-10): Beginnings – Contact with new cousin S.

Week 4 – Close to home (Jan 22-28)