week 2 Favourite Photograph (Jan 8-14)


What is a favorite family photo of yours? If you're thinking, "Oh, but I don't have any old family photos," remember that you are a part of your family history! It doesn't have to be a photo of a great-great-great-grandfather. What about a favorite photo of someone in a more recent generation, like your parents, siblings, or even yourself. Why is it a favorite photo? What is the story behind it? From AJC

This is quite a hard call for week 2. I have so many photographs of family/ancestors, their houses, gravestones, weddings, doing silly things, places of work etc so I wouldn’t like to have to choose just 1 photo. So, I am sort of going to cheat on this, the “Favourite Photograph” I have chosen is a photo of loads of photos (taken many years ago) that were sent to me by my Dad’s cousin Morley Lackey.



Photo of photos sent to me by my Dad’s cousin Morley Lackey.

All of the photos in the photo are copies of the original photos that my Dad’s cousin has. Not only were there photos but there were newspaper articles and certificates included in the bundle he sent me. Some of the photos are fairly recent like the child – that was my Dad (Peter William Lackey) at 18months/2years old in 1942/43. Others like the lady with hair in bun on left middle area was taken about 1897 (Aunt Tilly). The good-looking man at the front in military uniform was my Grandad (William Liddle Lackey, my Dad’s Dad) taken about 1935. The 3 ladies on the newspaper article on the right are linked to my family via Morley who me sent the photos – they were Aunts from his Mum’s side of the family, but it’s still nice to have the photo and information on them.
In total I think there was about 50-60 photos sent to me in this bundle. And all of them have who’s in them (a few question marks or could be so and so) and dates and locations. The black/white (grey) photo at the top that shows a man in suit and tie and a lady next to him was taken in the garden at the house where the Lackey family lived and worked for about 40 years. The house was known as Lackey’s Yard, 6 South Street, West Rainton, Durham.

#52ancestors

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2021 Week 1 (Jan. 1-10): Beginnings – Contact with new cousin S.

Week 4 – Close to home (Jan 22-28)

Week 3 – Long Line (Jan 15-21)