Week 1 A new Start (Jan 1-7)


Some ideas include starting with yourself or whoever the "home person" is on one of your family trees. Maybe you focus on the person who got you started in genealogy or the ancestor you wanted to find first. You could talk about a relative who started a business. From AJC

There are so many options of people that I could do for this week, those that left Ireland to go to the UK or to USA to make a new start, those who moved to Australia or New Zealand for a new start or those that moved from 1 place to another for a new start. However, as this 52-week 52 ancestors challenge is by me (Amy-Louise Watson nee Lackey), I feel that it’s only right that I start with myself. I was born in Peterborough on January 3rd 1982, and grew up there. I spent all of my childhood, my teenage years, my 20s and just into my 30s living there in various places around the town.

However, in 2009 myself and family decided we wanted “a new start” after spending time up in the Lake District, Cumbria on holiday and short breaks. We put our house up for sale, and we started looking in Cumbria for a new house to move to. We found 1 we liked and put in an offer on it. All was going well, our house in Peterborough sold and the offer was accepted in Cumbria. The house in Peterborough was packed up in boxes all bar 1 or 2 sets of clothes each, a few toys, crockery and the basics we needed until moving day, the rest was all ready to move. BUT, things didn’t go smoothly or as planned. My then husband Peter Watson, was involved in a major Road Traffic Accident the week before we were due to move and he was badly injured, this meant we had to pull out of the sale of our house and we lost the house up in Cumbria.

It may seem all doom and gloom here from reading the above, but when Peter got his compensation for the accident, we started looking for houses again and in April 2013 we bought our new house in Cumbria, 2 streets away from the original house we were buying. The house needed a fair amount of work doing on it – nothing major but a few loose floor boards, holes in walls to be filled, fully cleaned (it was disgusting!), new floors laid, leaky bath fixed etc. And on 17th June 2013 me, Peter, the 3 children, the animals (Daisy the tortoise), Gypsie and Buster (King Charles Spaniel dogs), Flame and Willow (cats) and a box of tropical fish (yes all in heated water) and all of our belongings (in a lorry) made the long journey (5.5hrs) up to our new house and our new start in Cumbria.

#52ancestors



Amy-Louise Watson outside her new house in Cumbria 17th June 2013

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2021 Week 1 (Jan. 1-10): Beginnings – Contact with new cousin S.

Week 4 – Close to home (Jan 22-28)

Week 3 – Long Line (Jan 15-21)