Week 4 – Close to home (Jan 22-28)

From AJC


This may not be everyone’s take on the them but it’s mine. As I’ve already stated I now live in Cumbria, more precisely the very west coast of Cumbria (well 1mile from the coast but close enough). This is what ignited my thoughts for the theme of “closer to home”.

Before I go into things linked to the theme, I need to add some history – the Lackey family originally came from Scotland and were under the name of MacGregor, however due to bad behaviour they were banished from Scotland and sent to Ireland where they lost the MacGregor name and became Lackey’s (it means slave). After my line of the family left Ireland they moved to Durham, and from here they met and married families from Yorkshire and moved further afield.

I live in Whitehaven, and on a (very) clear day you can see parts of Ireland from the Whitehaven Harbour, I haven’t yet seen it but it is said you can via the telescopes up on the cliffs and in the museum. I believe it is about 80miles in a direct line across to Saintfield where the Lackey’s were from (ask google doesn’t give a straight answer). If you had your own boat it would be easy to get to, but if you don’t you have to travel to Scotland or Liverpool for a ferry.

Map showing Whitehaven to Saintfield Ireland

Scotland as I mentioned above is also linked to my ancestors and their roots. Again, on a clear day you can see Scotland across the Solway Firth (this is visible most of the time). It is also only an hour by car to the Scottish borders. I’m not sure where abouts in Scotland the Macgregor’s were from.
Map showing Whitehaven to Gretna (just over the Scottish border)

When my 2nd Great Grandparents Robert Lackey and Mary Jane Jackson left Ireland they settled in West Rainton, Durham. This is just over 2hrs by train or car away from where I live. I have been to West Rainton once, found their grave and the house they lived in. It is on my list to go again.
Map showing Whitehaven to West Rainton

My Grandad William Liddle Lackey married Hilda Wood, she was born in Bradford, West Yorkshire. This is about 3hrs by car from where I live.


Map showing Whitehaven to Bradford West Yorkshire

So, it’s safe to say that where I live now is “Close to home” of many of my ancestors (or at least part of where they lived) as the exact places are not “just across the sea or the border” but close enough.

#52ancestors

Comments

  1. how did I not know that Lackey meant slave, now I understand why the use of the word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very interesting story and a great way of interpreting the close to home theme

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2021 Week 1 (Jan. 1-10): Beginnings – Contact with new cousin S.

Week 3 – Long Line (Jan 15-21)