Week 23 (June 3 rd -9 th ): Wedding From Amy Johnson Crow - June is a traditional month for "weddings" , so what better time to highlight the story of an ancestor's wedding? Maybe you've found something surprising in a marriage record or you have an ancestral "wedding" photo. As I have already used my parents “ wedding ” for the “long line” theme I am going to use another Lackey ancestor for this weeks theme of “ wedding ”. The couple pictured right are James (Jim) Gardiner Lackey and Eva Margaret Morley. They married in October 1949 in Willsden Middlesex. Jim was born on 4 th April 1910 in Houghton-le-spring, Durham, UK. He was the 4 th child out of 8 of Gardiner Lackey and Margaret Ann Liddle. Eva was born 22 nd May 1920 in Kensington, UK. She was the youngest ...
WEEK 26 – Slow For the theme of “ slow ” I am linking it to a “ slow ” voyage from the UK to Australia that some of my ancestors took in 1853. The voyage was very “ slow ” and took 107 days to do, nowdays this voyage can be as quick as 25-30days by ship. David Guymer is the brother in law of 1 st cousin 5x removed. He was born21st July 1811 in Great Thurlow Suffolk to Robert and Susan. He had 9 siblings. On 9 th April 1830 David married Mary Ann Bentley in Great Thurlow. They had 10 confirmed children and a possible 11 th that I can’t find information on, only a name. David is listed on the 1841 census with his family, but his occupation isn’t clear – it’s something maker. In 1851 he is listed as woodman. This is where David’s census journey ends. In 1853 David and his family left their home in Suffolk and travelled to Southampton, where they boarded the Ship Harriet and set sail for a new life in Australia. They set sail on 16 th February and arrived on 3 rd ...
From Amy Johnson Crow - Do you have an ancestor who was lucky at something? Lucky to be alive? Lucky at cards? Lucky in love? Maybe you have an ancestor with a name that reminds you of luck or fortune. There's always "luck of the Irish." Maybe you have a story of how luck played a role in finding an ancestor. The theme of “ luck ” I have looked into all sorts of things – did I have anyone of that surname or a word that means “ luck ” such as fortune etc, any Christian names that meant “ luck ”, I couldn’t think of anyone that was “ lucky ” to be a live or “ lucky ” in cards/gabling etc, I do have Irish ancestors but again I can’t link them to “ luck ” or “ luck of the Irish”. The answer to all of these was a big NO! So it's not my “ lucky ” day. Then I sat and thought about my ancestry “ luck ” and decided this was the route I needed to go. I won’t say I’ve had “ luck ” on my side with the tree all of the time as I haven’t. Many times over the years I...
Comments
Post a Comment