52 ancestors Week 43 (Oct. 25-31): Shock

 Week 43 (Oct. 25-31): Shock

This story has a total twist that “shocked” me when I actually made the discovery and put years of uncertainty to rest.

My paternal Grandfather was William Lackey(1), he was born in Durham and had a big link to the church. He moved from Durham to the Cambridgeshire/Lincolnshire areas where he married Hilda Wood and had my Dad.

I had come across records for a William Lackey(2) linked to a church in part of Cambridgeshire but the birth date and area didn’t match up nor did his wife. So, it was left to one side. My Dad even suggested that his father William (1) had had an affair or a even a second wife (illegal in the UK) and was continuing with his church life away from the home.

Over the years I have tried to prove my Dads theory and not had much luck. That was until the summer of 2021, when I came across a new record that linked William Lackey(2) to Nova Scotia, Canada. I started to investigate this more and with some help on forums managed to trace this man. It turns out that William(1) and William(2) are actually 2 different people and were cousins! (This was a “shock” but good to know the truth). The family link goes way back to a mutual ancestor in Ireland – the older brother of my 2nd great grandfather.

Sadly, my Dad had died before this discovery so I haven’t been able to tell him that his Father didn’t have an affair or a 2nd wife, but it was 2 different people. I have also made contact with William(2) grandson and we have shared information.


William Lackey(1) - born 1906 Durham died 1953 Lincolnshire, Married to Hilda Wood

William Lackey(2) - born 1903 Oldham died 1965 huntingdon, married to Florence Crossman

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2021 Week 1 (Jan. 1-10): Beginnings – Contact with new cousin S.

Week 4 – Close to home (Jan 22-28)

Week 3 – Long Line (Jan 15-21)