Week 37 (Sept. 13-19): On the Farm

 Week 37 (Sept. 13-19): On the Farm

This weeks topic of “on the farm” had so many possibilities as many of my ancestors were farmers, agricultural labourers etc. But I have decided to go with the husband of my Grand aunt (and also their children).

Frank Carr Heddle was born 15th July 1908 in Houghton-le-spring, Durahm. He was the 7th of 8 children born to Thomas and Isabella.

In 1935 he married my Grand aunt Olive Lackey in Houghton-le-spring. On the 1939 census he is listed as horseman “on the farm” worker.

The image to left shows Frank (at the back) and his son-in-law Patrick Partridge calfing “on the farm”.

I believe he was a farmer all of his life, I know my Dad (Peter Lackey) visited the family farm on many occasions as a child and I have photos of him and Frank’s children (Margaret and Stuart) on the hay cart.

The images below are from a google search and are linked to the farm and the family being dairy farmers.

After Frank died in 1962, his son Stuart took over the farm as the main dairy farmer, this was until 2002 when he stopped dairy production and went into Heifer rearing. And to this day both Stuart and Margaret still live on the farm. There is now a holiday accommodation on the farm as well.

I am in regular contact with Margaret and we hope to meet up in the near future.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2021 Week 1 (Jan. 1-10): Beginnings – Contact with new cousin S.

Week 4 – Close to home (Jan 22-28)

Week 3 – Long Line (Jan 15-21)