52 ancestors Week 28 (July 8-14): Multiple

From Amy Johnson-Crow - Twins? Triplets? Multiple marriages? Numerous nicknames? How are you going to interpret "multiple"?


Multiple” could be taken as many things I would guess, but I have gone with a “multiple” birth and death of my great uncles.

My Great Grandparents Gardiner Lackey and Margaret Ann Liddle had a set of male twins born. I didn’t know much about them (and I still don’t to be fair). But I ordered their birth and death certificates to try and get some more information on them.

The twins were called Robert and Thomas Lackey. From the information found online their births and deaths were in the same quarter, meaning they were a max of 3months old when they died. In a way I couldn’t wait for the certificates to arrive so I could get the information, but in another as they were so young I wasn’t sure I wanted to find out the cause of death etc.

The birth certificates arrived and I was quite surprised at how much information was actually on these certificates. Robert was the older of the twins, he was born 15minutes before his twin brother Thomas. The following 2 pictures show the snippet of their birth certificates showing the times and names of them.

 
The other interesting information on both birth certificates is the name of the informant E. Wheatley of 147 Freehold – the next door neighbour. As far as I am aware she is NOT related to the family in anyway.

I was actually saddened when the death certificates arrived a few days later, where I had thought the twins could have been upto 3months old and possibly had “an illness” or something I was very wrong. The twins died at 10minutes and 30minutes of age, in the same order they were born, meaning Robert died before Thomas was even born, that must have been so hard for Gardiner and Margaret and even more so when their other new born baby died shortly afterwards. The cause of death was listed as “premature birth at 6months”. Back in this date there wasn’t the facilities or medical options to try and keep the babies alive.

I haven’t been able to find graves for the twins or their sister of a year earlier, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t one.

This isn’t the only “multiple” births in my tree but is the closest to me.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2021 Week 1 (Jan. 1-10): Beginnings – Contact with new cousin S.

Week 4 – Close to home (Jan 22-28)

Week 3 – Long Line (Jan 15-21)