52 ancestors Week 21 (May 20th -26th ): Tombstone


From Amy Johnson Crow - I've always felt comfortable in cemeteries. I've always been fascinated with the stories scattered among the tombstones. Have any of your ancestors left an intriguing tombstone? Maybe you have a story of your search for where your ancestor is buried. Do you have a favorite ancestral cemetery or tombstone? What cemetery do you want to visit?

This weeks topic is “tombstone” however, I’m going to use the word "gravestone" as I’m in the Uk.

I am using my 2nd Great Grandparent on the paternal line, Robert Lackey and Mary Jane Lackey nee Jackson. I had found out where they were buried many many years ago. However, it was a good 4hours plus drive from where I lived, so I couldn’t  get to visit it.

In 2007 we had been up to Edinburgh to see family and on the way back we made a detour off the main road to go and see it. It was fairly easy to find.

Many of the Graves at St Mary’s Church West Rainton, Durham were in an unkept manner, had weeds and brambles growing in and around them, were dirty and broken, had no flowers etc. Robert and Mary’s was the total opposite much to my shock, as none of the living relatives lived anywhere near the village of West Rainton. I took phots of their grave.

"Gravestone" inscription reads:

In affectionate remembrance of ROBERT dearly beloved husband of MARY JANE LACKEY who died November 6th 1917 aged 72 years. Also MARY JANE beloved wife of the above who died February 22nd 1921 in her 77th year.

This was the first family ”gravestone” that I had found myself and pictured. I had others that members of forums had taken pictures of me or I had found online, but this one was special as my first find and my 2nd Great Grandparents.

Robert was the village boot & shoe maker, his wife Mary was a house wife and looked after the children. They are buried out the back of the Church near the outside fence (as per the photo above). None of the family are buried in the churchyard but in the overflow cemetery across the road. (I found this out a few years after I had been), had I known at the time I would have gone and found them also.

I contacted the church and asked if they knew who was looking after the "gravestone", the reply was along the lines of Robert and Mary were regular choice goers, Robert was also a sideman for the church and left money to the church after they died, therefore it is maintained by us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2021 Week 1 (Jan. 1-10): Beginnings – Contact with new cousin S.

Week 3 – Long Line (Jan 15-21)

Week 4 – Close to home (Jan 22-28)