Week 5 – So far away (Jan 29-feb 4)

It's a pretty vague theme, to be sure. You could write about an ancestor who is from someplace far away from where you live.  What ancestor migrated a long distance in his or her lifetime? Maybe you found an ancestor far from where you expected? How about a discovery in a distant library or archive? From AJC

So week 5s theme is so far away this has so many options. The person furthest from me in the tree, the people who moved to another county, getting all the answers to family tree problems and brick walls, Rob Roy MacGregor and the link to the family. I have decided to do the person furthest away from as they are “so far away”,  344 years to be precise! (Well it’s 344 years between my birth and their approx birth year). I will state that this link is not 100% verified and is from links of my early research the people that are nearer to me and on census and have more church records and certificates are correct.

The person that is “so far away” from me is my 9th Great Grandfather Thomas Bigmore, born approx 1638 in Haverhill, Suffolk, UK. His wife was called Susan (I say wife in the loosest sense of the word as I’ve found no marriage record. Thomas and Susan had 2 children that I have found, there maybe others that I haven’t found yet. I have no idea what Thomas did as a profession. 

1 of the 2 children that Thomas had was  my 8th Great Grandfather Samuel Bigmore born about 1860 in Haverhill, Suffolk, Uk. Samuel married a lady called Anne Scott. They had 3 children that I know of. Like his father I have no idea what he did for a living. Their 2nd child John Bigmore born 1686 approx was my 7th Great grandfather.

John had 2 wife’s, 1 of which he had 6 children with (that I know of), their 2nd child was also called John and he was my 6th Great Grandfather. John Jnr born about 1712 was married to Rebecca Abbott (confirmed by parish register) in 1734 in Haverhill, Suffolk, UK. They had 5 children that I know of. Again I have no idea of what John did for a living. Their 1st son (was 3rd child) was Thomas Bigmore and he was my 5th Great Grandfather.

Thomas was born in in about 1739 in Haverhill, Suffolk, Uk. He was married to Sarah Atkins (confirmed by parish register) in 1771. Thomas and Sarah had 9 children. Their 1st born child was a boy and also my 4th Great Grandfather, John Bigmore.

John Bigmore was born in 1771/1772 – I have his baptism record for January 1772. He was married to Anne Grimsaw (no record found). They had 6 children that I know of. Their 3rd son Stephen was my 3rd Great Grandfather.

Stephen was born in 1817 in Orton, Huntingdon, Uk. Stephen had 2 wives and had children with both of them. His 2nd wife Phoebe Haylock is my 3rd Great Grandmother and she is where the family has fun. Stephen was an ag labourer in 1851, 1861, 1871 and general labourer in 1881. Stephen and Phoebe’s 2nd son William is my 2nd Great Grandfather.


William was born in 1841 in Risbridge, Suffolk, Uk. He has caused me many problems within the tree, he changed his name on very census! In 1851 he was William Bigmore (as he should be). In 1861 he is William H Bigmore and is a house keeper. In 1871 he was back at William Bigmore  and is listed as ag lab. In 1881 he is William Bigmore Haylock and still an ag lab. In 1891 he is back as William Bigmore and farmer. His death is listed as William Bigmore Haylock. William married Abegail Allen and they had 13 children, again they flipped between the Haylock and Bigmore name, some are registered under each name. Their 12th child was my Great Grandfather George.





George Robert (Haylock) was born in 1880 in Swaffham Bulbeck, Cambridge, Uk. Accroding to his birth cert his father was “William Bigmore Haylock”, and the same on his marriage cert to Alice Adelaide Mason. George and Alice has 3 confirmed children and a possible 4th I have recently found BUT both parents would have been in their 50’s so I think more likely a nice or grandchild. George was a Gardener. Their eldest son Reginald was my Grandfather.



Reginald Edward Haylock born 1903 in Essex, Uk was my maternal Grandfather. Sadly he died 3years before I was born. He was married but not to my Mum’s Mum. Reginald was in the Queens Own Royal West Kent Regiment for most of his life. He had 2 child with his wife and my Mum out of marriage as an affair.



My Mum was Barbara May Haylock born 1949 in Kings Lynn, Norfolk, Uk. She married Peter William Lackey my Dad in 1972, 10years before I was born.


*9th Great Grandfather Thomas Bigmore born 1638

    *8th Great Grandfather Samuel Bigmore born 1660
        *7th Great Grandfather John Bigmore born 1686
            *6th Great Grandfather John Bigmore born 1712
                  *5th Great Grandfather Thomas Bigmore born 1739
      *4th Great Grandfather John Bigmore born 1771
                           *3rd Great Grandfather Stephen Bigmore born 1817
                                   *2nd Great Grandfather William Bigmore Haylock born 1841
                                         *1st Great Grandfather George Robert Haylock born 1880
            *Grandfather Reginald Edward Haylock born 1903
                                                     *Mother Barbara May Haylock born 1949
                                                          *Me Amy-Louise Lackey born 1982

*Had William not decided to change his name on census records our family would all be Bigmore’s like 9th Great Grandad “so far away”.*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2021 Week 1 (Jan. 1-10): Beginnings – Contact with new cousin S.

Week 4 – Close to home (Jan 22-28)

Week 3 – Long Line (Jan 15-21)