Week 7 (12th -18th February) Favourite discovery


From Amy Johnson Crow - What is the neatest thing you've found while exploring your family's history? What makes you smile even now thinking about it?

This has been a really hard theme, and 1 I have had to think long and hard about. Neither the title or the prompt info was proving helpful. I spoke to my children and they said the same as prompt what have I found that makes me smile etc? and I couldn’t think of anything. It was only after my middle son started asking questions about cousins and cousins removed that I clicked on a few in the tree and 1 of them had an interesting story linked to him, so I decided to use him for my “favourite discovery”.

So, for my “favourite discovery” I have chosen to use my 1st cousin twice removed, Clemett Harrison Wragge Lackey. He was born in 1909 in Chester-le-street, Durham uk. He was the 3rd child of his parents Thomas Jackson Lackey and Edith Mary Wragge, and their 2nd son. However, he also had 3 older half siblings from his father’s 1st marriage.

Clemett lived through both WW1 (he wasn’t old enough to serve) and WW2 (was old enough to serve) but I can’t find any records linked to him having a military carer.

On the 1911 census he is listed as son and 1years old, in 1939 census he is listed as married and occupation “Chachouse Electrical Engineer (Technical & Research Protective Gess)”. I will be honest I have no idea what all of this means. But I do think it is all related to him and my “discovery”.
Following a google search on him like I do on all ancestors I came across information linked to a book that was written by C H W Lackey or on another site Clemett Harrison Wragge Lackey! My ancestor. The book is called “fault calculations”. I have hunted high and low to obtain a copy of the book and have had no luck. There are only 72 copies in the UK and a further 9 worldwide. The UK versions are all at major universities.

I have managed to find the following information linked to the book though.

 The 2 pictures to the left are 2 different covers that I have found for his book. The blue version is 1951, the red version I have no idea of.

The information below is linked to information online about the book itself, it’s bibliography and the inside cover page (I think).








The next photo is from a page in his book thanks to Google, sadly it is one of only 7 pages I have managed to find. It is also really nice as has his signature at the bottom of the page I have added a copy of it below.


Clemett married a lady called Mary, the marriage record I found says Mary Fox, but the 1939 census says her maiden name was Hannington, so I have no idea which it is. But whichever Mary it was they had 1 daughter together. I don’t know anything about her except in his obituary it says he leaves his wife and daughter.

 #52ancestors




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2021 Week 1 (Jan. 1-10): Beginnings – Contact with new cousin S.

WEEK 27 – The great outdoors

Week 3 – Long Line (Jan 15-21)