week 6 same name

Week 6 (4th-11th February)– same name 
From Amy Johnson Crow - Were you named after an ancestor or maybe you just happen to have the same name as someone in your family tree? Is there a name that keeps getting repeated? You could also write about how you sorted out an ancestor from someone else with the same name.

People’s names are a significant part of family history research, and one that will trigger loads of problems. The variant of how names are spelt or transcribed, family members changing their names between census records and on them, generations passing the name same down, and cousins/siblings all naming their children the same thing at a similar time and ancestors naming a 2nd (or 3rd) child by the name of a sibling that died as a baby or young child are a big headache for researchers.

Luckily for me I don’t have many of these issues in my main lineage. The name being passed down doesn’t really happen except in side branches. I do have quite a few siblings/cousins naming their children the same thing at the same time as well as names being changed a lot and a few naming another child after a deceased one.

I did think for this week when I saw the title of doing who I was named after BUT I did week 1 linked to me and I don’t want this whole thing based on me, so have had to re-think what I was going to do.

I decided to go for  members of my paternal lineage in the Lackey line. The 2 main people in concern are brothers with the “same name” and are both my 2nd great uncles, both named James Lackey. They are 2 of 8 James Lackey’s, there are 4 other “plain Jame’s” and 2 with a middle name (makes things bit easier.)

I only came across the 2 of them with help from members on a forum linked to geneology. Let me explain, on 1911 census my 2nd Great Grandparents were listed as having 12 children, 7 living and 5 died. I only had 11 and couldn’t find the 12th anywhere. Member of the forum helped me find the missing child.

The 2 James Lackey’s will be known via a 1 or 2 after their name. James Lackey (1) was born 24th June 1870  in Pittington, Durham UK and died 29th May 1871 in Pittington, Durham Uk. James Lackey (2) was born 11th October 1871 in Coxhoe Durham, UK and died 10th February 1932 in Leamside Durham, Uk. This was my error – I had James (1) birth and James (2) death (as did 2 other relatives I’m in contact with.) It was only after I posted asking for help with the missing child that we came across a 2nd James. I ordered the certs for the other 2 dates and sat with crossed fingers (legs and anything else) that this was my missing child and it was. (YAY!)

So, when James (1) died, his mother was pregnant with his sibling and when he was born they named him James (2) after his recently deceased brother. I wonder if it was done because the other 2 siblings were only 3 and 2 and probably didn’t understand where they baby brother had gone.
James (2) had a son also called James but he had a middle name.

#52ancestors

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2021 Week 1 (Jan. 1-10): Beginnings – Contact with new cousin S.

WEEK 27 – The great outdoors

Week 3 – Long Line (Jan 15-21)