unhappy christmas

An article written by Amy Lackey and published in the Family Tree Forum online magazine in December 2007

My mum was the step-daughter in the family from the age of 7 and wasn’t liked very much by the rest of the family.
I remember her saying to me a few years ago that she hated Christmas time when she was a child because it meant she wouldn’t get a lot.
Quotation she hated Christmas time when she was a child because it meant she wouldn’t get a lot. Quotation She told me, “I didn’t like Christmas when I was young because I would get a packet of beads, a book and a piece of fruit and Bob and Jane* (step-siblings) would get lots of things – clothes, cars, trains and track, dolls and pram etc, whilst my presents fitted on the arm of the chair”.
It was because of how she was treated as a child at this ‘happy time of year’ that she made sure myself and my sister didn’t miss out on things and we always had lot of presents, even though money was tight. One year we both got Barbie dolls and loads of clothes, not bought ones but hand knitted. We had pants and socks, skirts and dresses, coats and trousers to name a few, all in a wide range of colours, and they were really nice.
I have picked up a tip from my mum and start buying bits in the January sales! I then continue throughout the year as and when I see things. If I’m honest I’m probably the biggest kid in my house!
*step-siblings names have been changed

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2021 Week 1 (Jan. 1-10): Beginnings – Contact with new cousin S.

Week 4 – Close to home (Jan 22-28)

Week 3 – Long Line (Jan 15-21)