WEEK 28 – Random

 WEEK 28 – Random

On the theme of “random” I am linking it to my paternal great grandfathers. This is a really “random” story linked to them both of them. Let me introduce both men.


Gardiner Lackey was born 21st July 1881 in West Rainton Durham, he was the son of Robert and Mary. He was a boot & shoe maker. He married and had 8 children. Gardiner left.

 

Arthur Wood was born 14 September 1885 in Bradford, Yorkshire. He was an enginer and machine maker and later worked in the coal mines. Arthur right.

 From looking at the 2 photos neither give much clue linked to their occupations as to which gentleman did what as both appear to be well dressed. The “random” thing linked to these is that my dad (their grandson) told me many years ago that Gardiner was Arthur and Arthur was Gardiner, both photos only had Peter’s  grandfather on the back. I believed him as he would know.

However, after he died in 2006 I was in contact with one of his cousins from the Lackey line not the Wood line. The cousin sent me some photos and in them was Gardiner Lackey and his wife at his daughters wedding (pic above). AND “Gardiner” wasn’t “Gardiner” as I had him, (namely Arthur). I questioned the cousin as to whether that was Gardiner and not Arthur Wood and was asked who Arthur was, so I informed them Dads other grandfather. They sent me even more photos of Gardiner as the tall thin man above left. Sadly my Dad couldn’t be told that he had got them mixed up, but to be fair on him both died when he was in his early 20s so a long time ago.

SO, for many years both men were “random” on the family tree and not with their correct family.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2021 Week 1 (Jan. 1-10): Beginnings – Contact with new cousin S.

Week 4 – Close to home (Jan 22-28)

Week 3 – Long Line (Jan 15-21)