Week 22 - At the Cemetery

 WEEK 22 – At the cemetery

For “at the cemetery” I have decided to use a gentleman in my tree who is linked to me in 2 ways (I will explain in minute). I was given a photo of his grave a few years ago by a lady who had seen me asking about him on a forum.

Thomas Henry Overall is related to me 1. As the father in law of my 5th cousin 1x removed, but also as the father in law of my step-great grandmother. (it’s very confusing!) Thomas was born 6th June 1875 in Chatteris, Cambridgeshire, he was the 9th child out of 10 to Thomas Overall and Hannah Boswell.


Thomas is on the 1881 census as son and scholar. On the 1891 he is listed as son and ag lab. On the 2nd of October 1898 Thomas married the neighbours daughter Harriet Ann Fountain in Hilgay, Norfolk. By 1901 he and his wife and 2 children were living in Tallington, Lincolnshire and he is a farmer on farm worker. In 1911 Thomas and family were living in Spalding, Lincolnshire and he was a cowman on the farm. In 1918 he was in Cambridgshire, this time in New Barns, Ely (this info is from his sons army enlistment papers. In 1921 he was still at New Barns, Ely and was working for a local farmer, as were his sons and wife (and about 4 other people who I am related to).

In total Thomas and Harriet had 4 children but only 3 survived. To look at his photo (left) you wouldn’t think he was a farmer as he looks very well dressed, I am guessing a wedding as he has a buttonhole visible.

Thomas died 6th October 1837 in Ely (possibly New Barns, I don’t know). He is buried “at the cemetery” in East Ely. The picture right is of his and his wife Harriet’s grave.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2021 Week 1 (Jan. 1-10): Beginnings – Contact with new cousin S.

Week 4 – Close to home (Jan 22-28)

Week 3 – Long Line (Jan 15-21)