Week 3 2023 - out of place

 WEEK 3 – Out of place

This puzzled me as to what I could write about. Items “out of place”, couldn’t think of any, records “out of place” there are probably loads, people “out of place” again probably loads. I really was having difficulty with this theme. I went to my Ancestry tree to look at and possibly add hints (I re-started my tree due to deleting a person of big link by accident so have lots of hints.) Anyway, on the home page it said about upcoming events linked to family etc and it showed my maternal Grandad, which gave me a good idea – his niece! She ended up “out of place” of the family during the war.

Avril Doreen Haylock was the daughter of Dora Haylock and unknown father, she was born 26th April 1931 in Eastbourne, Sussex. (confirmed by birth certificate). Sadly not much is known on Avril or her life. In 1939 she was living with her Grandparents (George and Alice – Dora’s parents) and not with her mother for whatever reason, my thoughts are because Dora wasn’t married and was working at the local vicarage as the housekeeper, so it wasn’t appropriate. (I've also had the thought of was the Vicar the father! but i cant prove this).

With the outbreak of war Avril was “shipped off” up north as a child refugee, most likely for her own safety, but again, this is unknown as to why. After the war ended Avril stayed up north and never returned to her mother or grandparents. Avril never married and died on 1st May 1981 In Catchgate, Durham.

Over the years that I met Dora and her husband; Avril was only mentioned on an odd occasion and there were no photos of her. It does make you wonder why Avril never returned.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2021 Week 1 (Jan. 1-10): Beginnings – Contact with new cousin S.

Week 4 – Close to home (Jan 22-28)

Week 3 – Long Line (Jan 15-21)