Week 22 (May 31-June 6): Military

 Week 22 (May 31-June 6): Military

Many of my ancestors served in the military over the years. And there could be lots that I could write about. However, the 3 main that I know about I have previously used. Therefore, I am going to use my step-grandfather, but was 1 the only grandfather I actually met.

Stanley Archibald Powell was born 27th July 1915 in Littleport near Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK. He was the 1st son, and eldest child of 7 that Lilly May Powell and unknown father had. He died the 27th September 2010 in Peterborough, Cambridgeshire.

Stanley married twice in his life, he apparently had 3 sons with his first wife Mary Agnes ? (but nothing is known on them including names or date’s of birth, meaning this has been hard to locate them) and then he had a daughter with his second wife Doreen, and took on her other two children including my Mum.

Stanley’s military dates are unknown, but he was a full time soldier before the start of WWII, of which he was involved with, he was only 24years old when the war started. Very little is known linked to Stanley’s military life as he wouldn’t talk about it due to the horrendous things he saw. He spoke to my cousin John once as he was doing a school project, but sadly John is no longer alive either. He occasionally spoke to his wife and daughter with little bits of information, and he did tell me he had fought in WWII, but didn’t tell me much more, or if he did I honestly don’t remember it.

He served in both the Suffolk and Cambridgeshire regiments; the Suffolk was his first link to the military. He was on the frontline at Dunkirk and was in the first group that liberated Bergen-Belsen Nazi prisoner of war/concentration camp, (this was the 11th Armoured Division but we have no idea if he was involved with this division) or if it was just linked the Cambridgeshire regiment that he was there. After the war had ended he went to Scotland as a Commando Trainer and shortly after he was “de-mobbed”. The picture to the right is of him in his uniform and is believed to be the only picture any of the family has of him in it. (Photo kindly shared by his daughter – my aunt).

Stanley was awarded various medals for his service, but sadly they all went missing over the years. The only one still in existence is his Defence Medal. 

After his military career Stanley did various jobs including a postman, gardener, odd job man and worked on the railway for a time, and linked to his railway career he came into contact with the Flying Scotsman and drove it – albeit from the shed to the main line but he still drove it, he was mainly a coal guard on this train. 

Myself and my Dad took him on a trip on the Flying Scotsman when it was in Peterborough in the 1990s and he got talking to the guard and driver after the trip and they said had they known his history and link to the train they would have had him on the engine plate during the trip.

He liked to play whist and would go to the local community centre to play there, he also linked prize bingo. As a child i spent many weekends at Nan and Grandad's house and going on coach trips with them and the local community centre. I recall many weekends away to Blackpool as well. I can't remember exactly how old I was (guessing young) but on/during a trip to Blackpool we went to the Granada TV studios and I shouted out that "Grandad" had his own TV Studio = Grandad/Granada. 

Stanley met all 3 of my children, and often went on his mobility scooter to the school to meet my eldest son.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2021 Week 1 (Jan. 1-10): Beginnings – Contact with new cousin S.

Week 4 – Close to home (Jan 22-28)

Week 3 – Long Line (Jan 15-21)